Jo Sonja Polyurethane Water Based Varnishes are available in Gloss, Satin and Matte. These clear, non-yellowing varnishes are fast drying and their durable formula makes them suitable for indoor and outdoor use. Matte and Satin Varnish should be shaken gently before use to disperse matting agent. Overshaking will cause bubbles.
- A coat of Clear Glaze Medium is recommended as a barrier coat prior to varnishing depending on climate and humidity.
- Use Varnish full strength. If thinning is necessary, add drops of Flow Medium or Retarder. Do not over dilute.
- Apply thin layers in a criss-cross motion using a soft but firm bristle brush suitable to surface size.
- Smooth coat with final brushstrokes in the direction of the wood grain.
- Allow to air dry a minimum of an hour before applying additional coats. Drying time varies depending on climate and humidity.
- Apply three coats before sanding. Sand lightly if 24 hours have lapsed between coats to ensure proper adhesion.
- For alcohol resistant finish or for outdoor use, apply a minimum of 4 to 5 coats of varnish. Allow to cure a minimum of 2 weeks before use.
- If using a hairdryer for surface drying, hold away from the surface and avoid excessive heat which could cause crazing.
Note: Not recommended for use over oil based paint or oil based antiquing finishes.
Approximate coverage: 1ml = 251 sq cm/ 1oz = 8sq ft
Safe to dry with a hair dryer.
Water based, can be cleaned up with mild soap and cool water.
Conforms to ASTM D 4236 and is Non Toxic.